Bankcheckingsavings has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Bankcheckingsavings and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express features great benefits all-around created for those who like staying at Hilton properties. It charges a $95 annual fee, but users can score a free weekend night award and complementary Gold status.
New applicants can earn 125,000 bonus points after you use your new card to make $2,000 in eligible purchase within the first 3 months of card membership.
Cardholders earn 12X points for each dollar spent at hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio. Purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations earn 6X points for each dollar spent. All other purchases earn 3X points.
It’s overall a great card option for semi-frequent guests who don’t typically travel enough to reach Hilton’s Gold or Diamond statuses.
The Hilton Honors program, co-branded with American Express, also has 4 cards available:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card – the basic no annual fee version for those who occasionally stay at Hilton properties and want to earn rewards.
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card – the option for those who’ll take advantage of all the premium perks and credits to make up for the premium annual fee.
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card – the option for business owners with benefits and an annual fee most like the Ascend Card.
Table of Contents
- 1 Amex Hilton Honors Ascend Credit Card Summary
- 2 Earning 125,000 Hilton Honors Ascend Bonus Points
- 3 Earn 12X Hilton Honors Points
- 4 Redeem Rewards
- 5 Hilton Portfolio Of Hotels
- 6 Points & Money Option
- 7 Complimentary Gold Status
- 8 Other Hilton Honor Ascend Cardholder Benefits
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 Other Credit Cards To Consider
Amex Hilton Honors Ascend Credit Card Summary
With the Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express:
• Earn 125,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Card after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in eligible purchase within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
• Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 on purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
• Earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
• Earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
• Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
• Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
• $95 annual fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Earning 125,000 Hilton Honors Ascend Bonus Points
The 125,000 Hilton Honors bonus points offer is valued about $750. You’ll need to spend $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership to qualify. Compare this with other card bonuses.
Here are some ideas on meeting the spending requirement:
• Plastiq: Plastiq allows you to pay for expenses that you generally won’t be able to with your card like rent, tuition, auto lease, mortgage payment, and more. There’s a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card. However, this’ll be worth the card bonus you’ll get. There’s also a referral program where you can earn “Fee-Free Dollars” to use towards processing fees. See our Plastiq review.
• Fund Checking accounts with your card: Many banks will allow you to fund the opening deposit with a credit card. Consider opening Checking accounts that also offer a sign-up bonus. This way, you can work towards bonuses from two different sources. Big banks like Chase, HSBC, Huntington, and TD Bank have great offers and allow credit card funding. You can generally fund anywhere from $50 to $1,000 towards the opening deposit with a credit card, depending on the bank.
• Buy gift cards: Consider buying gift cards with your credit card that you can then spend later at your leisure. Individual merchant cards (restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, etc.) generally don’t have purchase fees, so this is a plus. On the other hand, American Express and Visa gift cards will have purchase fees. Amazon gift cards are a great idea as you can shop for almost anything there with no purchase fees either. Unfortunately, Citi credit cards tend to code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and there’ll be a fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards. You can also buy discounted gift cards as well from Raise or find gift cards on eBay.
• Everyday spending & bills: Always using your credit card for everyday spending, such as for dining, gas, groceries, etc. You can also use your credit card to pay for things like insurance bills, property taxes and income taxes. However, you’ll have to consider the convenience fees.
Earn 12X Hilton Honors Points
The Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card offers a solid bonus on purchases at Hilton properties worldwide. You’ll earn 12 points per dollar spend on these stays. You’ll also earn 6 points per dollar spent at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations. All other purchases score you 3 points per dollar spent.
You can redeem your points for free stays, merchandise, airline transfers, and more. The best option is to redeem them for free stays to earn you the highest value out of your points.
Per Hilton’s terms, the amount of Hilton Honors points required to redeem hotel rewards varies by hotel, room, booking date and length of stay. Thus, you must individually search for specific properties and their award rates.
You can choose to redeem for a hotel stay using only Hilton Honors points, or you can choose a combination of cash and points when redeeming. More about that in the next section.
Hilton Portfolio Of Hotels
You’ll have plenty of options earning and redeeming points within the Hilton Portfolio of hotels which consists of over 5,100 locations in 103 countries and territories:
|Hilton Hotels & Resorts||With more than 570 properties across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts stands as the stylish, innovative leader of hospitality.|
|Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts||In landmark destinations around the globe, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts truly reflect their location and are fresh expressions of the legendary True Waldorf Service.|
|Conrad Hotels & Resorts||At Conrad Hotels & Resorts, luxury is a style you can connect with and service that is attuned to your every need.|
|Canopy by Hilton||For those seeking an energizing and comfortable experience, Canopy by Hilton is the fresh, neighborhood hotel that creates a positive stay through simple guest-directed service and thoughtful local choices.|
|Curio Collection by Hilton||Each hotel in the Curio Collection is completely different from the next. Curio is a collection of hand-picked hotels that are authentic, independent and remarkable.|
|DoubleTree by Hilton||Full-service and full of warmth, DoubleTree by Hilton has more than 400 wonderful places to stay, occupying prime locations in gateway cities and getaway destinations around the globe.|
|Tapestry Collection by Hilton||Tapestry Collection by Hilton is a gathering of original hotels chosen because of a commitment to being anything but generic.|
|Embassy Suites by Hilton||All guests are welcomed with a two-room suite, free made-to-order breakfast each morning, and complimentary drinks and snacks for two hours every night.|
|Hilton Garden Inn||With over 530 locations worldwide, they understand what you need to get from one busy, bustling business day to the next, and we’ll go above and beyond to ensure each stay is a successful one.|
|Hamptons by Hilton||With over 2,200 locations globally, Hampton by Hilton hotels offer high-quality and consistent accommodations and amenities.|
|Tru by Hilton||Tru by Hilton is a revolutionary new brand that is simplified, spirited and grounded in value for guests with a zest for life and a desire for human connection.|
|Homewood Suites by Hilton||In every suite they give you a spacious living room and a real kitchen with a full-sized fridge, and a comfortable bedroom with space to spread out and organize.|
|Home2 Suites by Hilton||Home2 Suites by Hilton is more than a midscale, extended-stay hotel; it’s a spirited and innovative hotel brand for the savvy, value-wise traveler staying a few months or a few nights.|
|Hilton Grand Vacations||Hilton Grand Vacations develops, markets and operates a collection of high-quality vacation ownership resorts in renowned travel destinations.|
Points & Money Option
If you want to redeem your points at a fancy Hilton resort but you don’t have enough, Hilton has added some flexibility for you. Featuring their Points & Money awards option, you can use as much you want cash in place of points to redeem your hotel room.
Redeem points to cover an entire stay, pay cash for the entire stay, or adjust these amounts to use a combination of the two. This gives you flexibility for your Hilton Honors points, since you’re in charge of how many points to use on a given redemption. With Hilton, as long as there’s a room available using points, you can use Points & Money.
Complimentary Gold Status
Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express cardholders earn a complementary Gold status. Normally, you’d need to have 30 stays, 60 qualifying nights, or earn 120,000 base points to get this benefit. On top of a Silver Status level of perks, Gold Status will add the following benefits:
- 5th Standard Reward Night Free
- 2 Bottles of Water
- Elite Tier Rollover Nights
- Space-available Room Upgrade (up to Executive room type)
- Complimentary Breakfast at all hotels
- Unlimited Milestone Bonuses
Also, if you spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your card in a calendar year, you’ll earn Diamond Status through the end of the next calendar year. Diamond status will include the following on top of Gold Status perks:
- Executive Lounge Access
- Diamond Status Extension
- 48-Hour Room Guarantee
- Elite Status Gifting
Other Hilton Honor Ascend Cardholder Benefits
Weekend Night Award: Spend $15,000 on purchases on your card in a calendar year to earn a free night. You’ll receive the reward in the form of a redeemable code sent to your Hilton Honors email address. It’ll arrive within 8-12 weeks after you have met the purchase requirement.
Priority Pass Select: You’ll receive 10 free visits every year. Access more than 1000+ airport lounges worldwide with a Priority Pass Select membership. Visits after the 10 free ones will be at a reduced rate of $27.
No Foreign Transaction Fees: You won’t have additional fees on purchases made abroad with the Ascend card.
With the Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express, cardholders can enjoy a generous welcome bonus, great earning rates, and plenty of valuable perks. It’s certainly a great option for those who visit Hilton properties. You don’t even have to visit frequently to enjoy all it has to offer with the $95 annual fee.
While it doesn’t offer as much flexibility, it could be just what you need to make your next stay at Hilton even more rewarding. Nonetheless, if you’re looking for something else, visit our list of credit card promotions to find the one that best suits you.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Other Credit Cards To Consider
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
• Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
Learn More About This Card Here
The Best Bank Offers are updated here. See the below pages to get started with some of the best offers:
• Chase Bank Offers. Chase offers a range of attractive Checking, Savings and Business Accounts. Chase has a great selection of sign-up bonuses in comparison to other big banks.
• HSBC Bank Offers. HSBC Bank has big value offers available through this Checking Accounts. In addition, they are offering an attractive rate for their Online Savings Account.
• Huntington Bank Offers. Huntington Bank has high bonus amounts available through their Checking and Business Checking. Huntington also offers a Business Premier Money Market Account.
• Discover Bank Offers. Discover Bank offers top cashback, savings, money market accounts and CD rates for you to take advantage of. Discover has industry leading selections to cater to your banking needs.
• TD Bank Offers. TD Bank consistently offers a fantastic selection of checking accounts to cater to your banking needs. However, savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|