Take advantage of all the welcome offers and promotions with our complete list of American Express credit cards and third party/co-brand American Express credit cards. American Express (sometimes called Amex) offers a variety of different credit cards and charge cards depending on your spending needs.
As a heads up, American Express credit cards are less commonly accepted in overseas than a Visa or Mastercard. So if you plan on traveling outside the U.S., you may want to carry another card with you just in case. However, the list of places that are taking American Express are slowly growing.
Some American Express cards have ExpressPay. This neat feature uses wireless RFID where you can perform contactless transactions just by holding the credit card near a receiver that accepts ExpressPay. This way, you don’t need to swipe or insert your card into a card reader or enter a PIN. Many merchants in the U.S. and globally offer American Express contactless payment.
For those interested in applying for one of American Express’ business cards, if you ever sell something on eBay or Craigslist, your business is called “sole proprietorship.” You can apply for a business card using your legal name as your business ID and social security number as your tax ID. This is the easiest business entity and completely legal recognized by the IRS.
Find the best credit card offers from American Express below.
With the American Express® High Yield Savings Account:
• Earn 0.40% APY on your deposits. Your High Yield Savings account earns interest daily and is posted to your account monthly.
• Links easily with your current bank accounts. No need to switch banks.
• FDIC Insured. Your account is insured to at least $250,000 per depositor.
• No monthly fees, no minimum balance.
• 24/7 Account Access
Table of Contents
Things You Should Know About American Express
American Express is a very prominent issuer in the credit card industry. It’s evident that they have a huge portfolio of credit cards to choose from with tons of bonuses to offer as well. If you’re not familiar with what American Express has to offer, here’s some insight for people, current and new, to American Express!
- American Express always has bonuses and offers. American Express is very persistent with marketing, especially to individuals without a card with their name. They offer a variety of large sign up bonuses to try to entice new customers to sign up. If you don’t already have an American Express card, chances are you’ve received a targeted promotion of theirs. If you decide to sign up for one, make sure it’s a good one because afterwards, you won’t receive as many offers.
- You can only get the sign up bonus on American Express personal and business cards once per lifetime. This is American Express’s policy to stop the practice of credit card churning. Therefore, you must do your research before applying for a credit card to make sure you’re getting the best bonus. However, for business credit cards, sometimes you can get a separate bonus for each business with a unique EIN/SSN.
- American Express has application rules. You’re limited to one approved credit card every 5 days and two approved credit cards every 90 days. Take note that this policy applies to credit cards and not their charge cards.
- You can have a maximum of five American Express credit cards at one time. This only applies to credit cards issued by American Express. You can still have as many charge cards you want.
- Business credit cards aren’t reported to personal credit bureaus. This is useful for keeping your credit report cleaner.
- Check your credit card application status online. Receive instant feedback without having to drearily wait each day for the approval letter to come in.
- Get expedited shipping on American Express credit cards. If any of your American Express cards are lost or stolen, American Express will ship a new credit card to you with expedited shipping. For new applications of their premium products, they will automatically provide expedited shipping those as well. For lower tier cards, you can call and request expedited shipping, but not all customer service representatives will do it.
- American Express doesn’t offer match-up on higher welcome bonuses. Unfortunately, if you apply for a card with a welcome offer that gets bumped to a higher bonus later, you won’t receive the higher bonus. However, sometimes you can receive some points as a gesture of goodwill upon request.
- If you’re an existing cardholder applying for a new American Express card and you get denied, they’ll usually only conduct a soft pull. This is because they’ll usually check the credit report they already have on file for you.
- Always call for reconsideration if you’re declined an American Express card. American Express will often approve you after they ask some basic questions. Make sure you have a valid reason for wanting the card, for example, a unique feature that the card offers. In addition, know your credit score and report, as different cards require different scores.
- American Express sometimes gives out new credit card numbers instantly at the time of approval. This is usually so that you can use it for online purchases. But, YMMV — sometimes you’ll get it, sometimes you won’t.
- American Express refunds the annual fee on your card as long as you cancel within one statement period after it posts. They do refund based on the distributed basis after one statement credit is over.
- American Express offers retention bonuses every now and then. If you’ve been holding onto an AmEx card with an annual fee for a while, it’s a great option to call a representative every 90 days for 5,000 points or spending bonuses every now and then.
- If you’re promised an instant credit limit and you’re not given it, sometimes you can get a bonus. However, it varies. It’s definitely worth asking a representative.
- Increase your credit limit by up to three times it’s starting limit. American Express is typically one of the most generous when it comes to credit limits. Requesting a credit limit will usually be approved. American Express make a lot of money from interchange fees, and this is a great way to get cardholders to spend a little on their services. However, this usually results in a hard credit pull.
- Distribute your credit limits with American Express online. There might be a chance that American Express will disapprove of your credit limit increase when you want to put more spending on a card. You can distribute the credit limit from another credit card and add it to the card you want a higher limit with. This incurs a soft pull and won’t hurt your credit.
- View personalized credit card offers online. American Express allows you to view all your targeted personal and business card offers online. You can also use the CardMatch Tool to find the best offers online, but they aren’t always partnered with American Express. Though, when they are, they’ll generally show the same offers.
- Hard inquiries will be combined for multiple American Express card applications. All of your applications must be approved on the same day. However, you can only apply for one credit card per day. To do this tactic, apply for one credit card a day and add in multiple charge cards. You can mix applications for both business and personal cards.
- Consider downgrading if you have an American Express card with a high annual fee. Some American Express cards offer a waivable annual fee for the first year, then a hefty annual fee afterwards. Most aren’t worth keeping after you’ve received the welcome bonus after the first year. You can downgrade these cards to one with no annual fee. This will allow you to keep your points, rather than having to redeem/transfer them immediately.
- Call American Express every 90 days to ask for retention offers on your account. A credit card retention offer is simply something the issuer will do or give to keep you as their happy customer. Though the terms and conditions were given in the original agreement, the issuer may adjust or add to it to please you. Many people only call for a retention offer when their annual fee is due. However, it’s worth calling every 90 days. You’ll be surprised how often they’ll give you some bonus points just for being a cardholder or offer you a spending bonus.
- Amex Offers can make you some serious cash. American Express releases spending offers pretty frequently. Just log into your account at amexoffers.com, add your desired offers to your card, then use your card to pay and see the savings or points on your statement. Check often, because new offers will come up.
- Participate in Small Business Saturday each year. Small Business Saturday is essentially a way for American Express to increase the amount of small companies that accept American Express cards. Each year, American Express offers a bonus to cardholders. One year, you could receive $10 in statement credits when you spent $10+ at any Small Business Saturday participating merchant. Lots of people were able to make small $10 purchases and get some goodies for free or almost free.
- Change your mind about closing an American Express card? Get your account reinstated without a hard pull. Though, you must make a request within 30 days.
- Get a bonus for adding an authorized user. These offers are generally targeted. So, if you’re thinking about adding an authorized user to your card, it’s worth waiting for one to pop up.
- Adjust your auto-pay and only pay what’s due. It’s useful for those who usually pay of your card mid-cycle.
Best American Express Credit Card Bonuses
American Express Personal Credit Cards
The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card offers 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
On top of that, you can earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
You can also earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year once you spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
Take advantage of earning 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio, 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, & U.S. gas stations, and 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
This card does carry a $95 annual fee.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card offers 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 4/28/2021.
Earn now. Travel when you're ready. After you spend $10,000 in purchases in a calendar year, you will receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit on your Card to inspire your next travel.
You'll earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, and at U.S. supermarkets; 1X mile for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases.
Earn now. Travel when you're ready. After you spend $10,000 in purchases in a calendar year, you will receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to inspire your next travel.
There is a $99 annual fee, however, there is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year (See Rates & Fees). Now, you'll get get more savings with your first checked bag for free on Delta flights.
The American Express Cash Magnet® Card offers $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 or more in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on your purchases; your cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
The card has no annual fee. (See Rates & Fees).
The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card offers 150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card after you use your new Card to make $4,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, enjoy a free Weekend Night Reward within your first year and every year after renewal.
You're able to earn:
• 14X Hilton Bonus Points when you make eligible purchases on your Card at participating hotels or resorts within the Hilton Portfolio;
• 7X Bonus Points for eligible purchases: on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, on car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies & at U.S. restaurants.
• 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
This card does come with a $450 annual fee, however, you can enjoy up to $250 in Hilton Resort Credits on your Card each anniversary year, when you stay at participating resorts within the Hilton portfolio. In addition, you can benefit with a complimentary Diamond status with your Hilton Honors Aspire Card.
The Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card offers 10,000 bonus miles after you spend $500 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
You'll earn 2X miles per dollar at restaurants worldwide and purchases made directly with Delta; 1X mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases. In addition, you'll receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
This card comes with no annual fee or foreign transaction fees. (See Rates & Fees)
The American Express® Gold Card offers 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
You'll have the opportunity to earn:
• 4X Membership Rewards Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
• 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). Some benefits including earning up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. In addition, a $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline. You'll also get $120 Uber Cash: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
The The Platinum Card® from American Express offers 75,000 Membership Rewards(R) Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
• 10X points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That's an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
• 5X Membership Rewards(R) Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
• 5X Membership Rewards(R) Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
This card comes with an annual fee of $550 (See Rates & Fees), but you cardholders can enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
Plus, up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card® & receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
You'll earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. 1% Cash Back on other purchases. In addition, you'll earn 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions, 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
The card does come with a $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95. (See Rates & Fees)
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers $200 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
You'll earn 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%), 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, and 1% back on other purchases.
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits.
There are no annual fees with this card (See Rates & Fees).
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card offers 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 4/28/2021.
You can earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels; 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, and at U.S. supermarkets; 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus MQMs to help you reach Medallion Status.
This card comes with a $250 Annual Fee, but for each round trip Delta flight, you can check your first bag for free and save up to $240. In addition, there is no foreign transaction fee. You'll also get fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card offers 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months – a $200 cash redemption value.
You'll earn 3X points for:
• eating out and ordering in
• gas stations, rideshares and transit
• travel including flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals
• on popular streaming services
• 1X points on other purchases
This card comes with no annual fee.
The American Express® Green Card offers up to $100 in statement credits towards any eligible purchase made directly with Away in your first 3 months. Offer ends 1/15/2020. Plus, earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
You'll earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours & 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
This card does carry a $150 annual fee & no foreign transaction fees. Terms Apply. See Rates & Fees
The Hilton Honors American Express Card offers 80,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll have the opportunity to earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands., 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations, & 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
This card comes with annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, so you can enjoy international travel without additional fees on purchases made abroad.
American Express Business Credit Cards
The Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM American Express® Card offers 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 5/12/21.
You can enjoy a complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with your Card. Plus, earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
You'll earn 6x points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping, & 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
For each card account anniversary, you'll receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
This card does carry a $125 annual fee.
With the American Express Blue Business CashTM Card, you'll earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
From workflow to inventory to floor plans, your business is constantly changing. That’s why you’ve got the power to spend beyond your credit limit with Expanded Buying Power§.Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us and other factors.
This card comes with no annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card has a welcome offer of 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn 12X at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, 6X on Select Business & Travel Purchases, 3X on all other eligible purchases. Terms & Limitations Apply.
In addition, you can enjoy complimentary Gold Status with your Hilton Honors Business Card & earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
This card has a $95 annual fee.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card offers 90,000 bonus miles and a $100 statement credit after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer Ends 4/28/21.
You'll earn 3X miles on every dollar spend on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with hotels; 1.5X miles per dollar on single eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (that's an extra half point per dollar), up to 50,000 additional miles per year; & 1X mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
This card does carry a $250 (See Rates & Fees).
The American Express® Business Gold Card offers 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn more rewards: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month** (**4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*). In addition, you'll get an airline bonus; 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.*
This card does carry a $295 annual fee, but no foreign transaction fees. (See Rates & Fees) *Terms Apply.
The The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome offer of 100,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll also earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. In addition, you'll get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
If you use your Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
PAY OVER TIME OPTION: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
This card does come with a $595 annual fee. Now, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card offers 70,000 bonus miles and a $50 statement credit after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer Ends 4/28/21.
You'll earn 2X miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta, on every dollar spent on eligible U.S. purchases for advertising in select media, on every dollar spent on eligible U.S. shipping purchases, on every eligible dollar spent on dining at restaurants. Earn 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
This card carries a $99 annual fee ($0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99) (See Rates & Fees). However, there are no foreign transaction fees and you can take $100 off your next Delta flight - after you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you will earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use toward future travel.
With The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, you'll get rewarded for business as usual. Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners.
You'll earn 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter. You can enjoy the flexibility to put more purchases on the Card and earn rewards when you buy above your credit limit*. You’ve got the power to use your Card beyond its credit limit* with Expanded Buying Power.
More buying power allows for your business means more opportunities to earn points. That’s everyday business with the Blue Business Plus Card.
There card comes with no annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
The Business Green Rewards Card from American Express comes with a limited time offers 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases with the Business Green Rewards Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn double Membership Rewards® points for each dollar of eligible purchases made when you book on the American Express Travel website; earn one Membership Rewards® point for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases.
This card comes with a $95 annual fee. See Rates & Fees
With the The Plum Card® from American Express:
• Paying early pays off: Get a 1.5% discount when you pay early, with no cap on what you can earn back.
• Take up to 60 days to pay with no interest, if you pay your minimum due.
• Use the power of the Plum Card to buy big for your business.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees.
• Introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $250
• Terms & Restrictions Apply.
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card offers 80,000 bonus miles, 20,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs), and a $200 statement credit after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer Ends 4/28/21.
You'll earn 3X miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta.; 1X mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
This card does carry an annual fee of $550 (See Rates & Fees). However, there are no foreign transaction fees.
Didn’t find any American Express credit card bonuses you liked from this list? See our list of the best credit card promotions and their respective reviews to find the best one that suits your needs, here on BankCheckingSavings. In addition, if you’re interested in opening a new checking and/or savings account, you can find a collection of our best bank bonuses with some of our helpful guides listed on there if you need any additional information!
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Bank of America Checking||$100 Offer||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|BBVA Free Checking + Savings||$250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Ally Invest||Up to $3,000 Cash||Review|
|BlockFi||Up To $250 BTC||Review|
|Discover Bank Cashback Debit||$360 Debit Cashback||Review|