Discover has launched their 5% cash back category for the first quarter between January through March. These categories favor grocery, drugstores, and streaming throughout the duration of this quarter.
Be sure to activate/register to earn 5% cash back on the categories for this quarter, capped at $1,500 in spend. This is a great way to earn increased cash back on every day purchases and save while you spend!
Pro Tip: Sign up for the Discover It referral link to earn $50 bonus after first purchase.
Discover First Quarter 5% Cashback Categories
First Quarter 5% Cash Back Categories: Grocery, Drugstores, Streaming
- Grocery Stores
- Grocery Store purchases include those made at supermarkets, meat lockers, bakeries, smaller grocery stores, and grocery delivery services. All purchases made at Walmart, Target, convenience stores, wholesale clubs, discount stores, and supercenters are not eligible.
- Drug Stores
- Drug Store purchases include those made at stand-alone drug stores, pharmacies, pharmacies located inside of retail stores, and from online pharmacies.
- Select Streaming Services
- Examples of Select Streaming Service purchases include Amazon Music, Amazon Prime Video, AMC+, Apple Music, Apple TV, Audible, DirecTV Stream, FUBO, Google Play, HBO Max, iHeartRadio, MLB.TV, Pandora, Paramount Plus, Peacock, Showtime, SiriusXM, Sling TV, Spotify, Starz, Vudu, YouTube Music, YouTube Premium, YouTube TV. Other popular streaming services may be included. If your subscription is bundled with another product or service, billed by a third party (such as a digital platform, a cable or satellite provider, telecommunications, internet provider or a car manufacturer), the purchase may not be eligible in this category. Add-ons associated with Select Streaming Services may not qualify for this promotion if they are not listed, billed in a bundle, separately or through a third party. Listed merchants are in no way sponsoring or affiliated with this program.
(Learn more at Discover)
Discover 5% Cash Back Categories Overview
Below are the cash back categories for 2023:
- January-March 2023: Grocery, Drugstores, & Streaming (Ends 3/31/2023)
- April-June 2023: TBA (Activation begins 2/1/2023)
- July-September 2023: TBA (Activation begins 5/1/2023)
- October-December 2023: TBA (Activation begins 8/1/2023)
How To Earn Discover It First Quarter 5% Cash Back
- Apply for the Discover It Card if you haven’t already.
- Log into your Discover Account.
- Register and spend for the 5% category.
- Once registration is complete, you’ll receive 5% on the applicable categories.
Taking advantage of 5% cash back categories can be a great way to make money and save money on your purchases. Although spending is capped at $1,500 per quarter, you’ll still have the opportunity to earn up to $75 per month.
This can surely go a long way. Now if this card isn’t of interest to you, we suggest checking out more credit card offers or comparing the Discover credit card with other 5% cards like the Chase Freedom Flex.
View other Discover Cash Back Categories:
- Discover It Second Quarter 5% Cash Back Categories
- Discover It Third Quarter 5% Cash Back Categories
- Discover It Fourth Quarter 5% Cash Back Categories
Alternative 5% Cards to Consider
The Chase Freedom FlexSM offers a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 19.24% - 27.99%.
• Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
• 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
• 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service
• Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
This card has no annual fee.