The Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express is a travel rewards credit card for those that like to fly Delta Airlines but don’t fly enough to see the need to justify an annual fee. While there isn’t nothing fancy about this card, the Blue Delta SkyMiles is a nice choice for travelers looking for a little something that gets them closer to free airfare and fare upgrades.
Cardholders earn 2 miles per $1 spent for purchases made directly with Delta. In addition, you’ll earn 2 miles per $1 spent at U.S. restaurants. All other eligible purchases earn 1 mile per $1 spent.
New applicants can earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in purchases on your new card in your first 3 months.
Compared to its siblings, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card and Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card, the Blue Delta SkyMiles does not offer as many perks. Though, you can enjoy mile-earning opportunities at the cost of no annual fee (See Rates & Fees). Thus, this card is perfect for frugal flyers.
Table of Contents
Amex Blue Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Summary
With the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express:
• Earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
• No Annual Fee.
• Earn 2 miles per dollar at US restaurants.
• Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
• Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
• Terms Apply.
Earning 10,000 Blue Delta SkyMiles Bonus Points
Blue Delta SkyMiles card’s 10,000 bonus SkyMiles offer. Compare this credit card with other offers.
To qualify, charge at least $500 to your card within the first 3 months of opening your account.
Here are some ideas on meeting the spending requirement:
• Plastiq: Plastiq allows you to pay for expenses that you generally won’t be able to with your card like rent, tuition, auto lease, mortgage payment, and more. There’s a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card. However, this’ll be worth the card bonus you’ll get. There’s also a referral program where you can earn “Fee-Free Dollars” to use towards processing fees. See our Plastiq review.
• Fund Checking accounts with your card: Many banks will allow you to fund the opening deposit with a credit card. Consider opening Checking accounts that also offer a sign-up bonus. This way, you can work towards bonuses from two different sources. Big banks like Chase, HSBC, Huntington, and TD Bank have great offers and allow credit card funding. You can generally fund anywhere from $50 to $1,000 towards the opening deposit with a credit card, depending on the bank.
• Buy gift cards: Consider buying gift cards with your credit card that you can then spend later at your leisure. Individual merchant cards (restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, etc.) generally don’t have purchase fees, so this is a plus. On the other hand, American Express and Visa gift cards will have purchase fees. Amazon gift cards are a great idea as you can shop for almost anything there with no purchase fees either. Unfortunately, Citi credit cards tend to code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and there’ll be a fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards. You can also buy discounted gift cards as well from Raise or find gift cards on eBay.
• Everyday spending & bills: Always using your credit card for everyday spending, such as for dining, gas, groceries, etc. You can also use your credit card to pay for things like insurance bills, property taxes and income taxes. However, you’ll have to consider the convenience fees.
Earn 2X Miles with Delta
Earn 2X miles at U.S. restaurants. Eligible purchases made directly with Delta also earns you 2X miles. And, all other purchases earn 1X mile.
There are no caps and limits to how much you can earn. In addition, miles don’t expire as long as your account is open and in good standing.
Redeem your SkyMiles for airfare and fare upgrades or online in the SkyMiles MarketPlace for merchandise, gift cards, and experiences. Redemptions in the SkyMiles MarketPlace will generally land you below $0.01 per mile.
So, the best way to redeem your miles is for Delta award airfare and fare upgrades. Miles will generally be valued between $0.005 and $0.02, depending on the route you take. On average, one Delta SkyMile is worth $0.012. One-way economy redemptions for travel within the U.S. start at 10,000 miles.
Take advantage of Delta’s fare sales and discounts. This can reduce the number of miles required for your flights. Though, these deals are usually limited to specific routes and timing restrictions. That being said, mileage requirements may increase during periods of peak demand, such as holidays and weekends.
To get the best value for your SkyMiles, use them for award travel with Delta or one of its many partners:
|Air Europa||Air France||Air Tahiti nui|
|Alitalia||China Airlines||China Eastern|
|China Southern||Czech Airlines||Garuda Indonesia|
|GOL||Hawaiian Airlines||Jet Airways|
|Kenya Airways||KLM Royal Dutch Airlines||Korean Air|
|Mandarin Airlines||Middle East Airlines||Saudia Airlines|
|Shanghai Airlines||Tarom Airlines||Vietnam Airlines|
|Virgin Atlantic||Virgin Australia||WestJet|
Blue Delta Skymiles Benefits
Rewards On Delta & Dining: You’ll earn 2 miles per dollar on purchases at Delta.com, Delta Sky Club membership or passes, Delta Vacations packages, seat upgrades and in-flight purchases. Most airline-branded credit cards will only offer elevated rewards on airline-related purchases. The Blue Delta SkyMiles card also offers double miles on restaurant purchases. Plus, you can earn even more rewards via the SkyMiles Dining program.
In-Flight Discount: When you use your Blue Delta SkyMiles Card to pay for eligible in-flight Delta purchases, you get a 20% discount. Eligible purchases include food, beverages, and entertainment. There’s no limit to your potential savings with this benefit.
The Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express isn’t going to be the fanciest credit card here. That’s not to say you can’t get good value out of this card. If your priority is earning more Delta SkyMiles than what you’d accumulate by simply purchasing Delta airfare, this card won’t disappoint you.
Though, if you do fly Delta often, you may get even better value out of your card if you go with one of Delta’s more premium travel cards. These include the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card and Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card. They do come with an annual fee, but for frequent Delta travelers, they will have perks that will outweigh it.
You can see our review of those cards and find more on our Credit Card Promotions page here on BankCheckingSavings.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Other Credit Cards To Consider
With the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express:
• Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
• Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta.
• Earn one mile for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases.
• Check your first bag free on Delta flights – that’s a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four.
• Settle into your seat sooner with Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
• Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Higher Rewards For An Annual Fee:
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
• Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
Learn More About This Card Here
With the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Card:
• Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
• Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
• Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
• Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
• Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
• Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
• No foreign transaction fees
• $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
The Best Bank Offers are updated here. See the below pages to get started with some of the best offers:
• Chase Bank Offers. Chase offers a range of attractive Checking, Savings and Business Accounts. Chase has a great selection of sign-up bonuses in comparison to other big banks.
• HSBC Bank Offers. HSBC Bank has big value offers available through this Checking Accounts. In addition, they are offering an attractive rate for their Online Savings Account.
• Huntington Bank Offers. Huntington Bank has high bonus amounts available through their Checking and Business Checking. Huntington also offers a Business Premier Money Market Account.
• Discover Bank Offers. Discover Bank offers top cashback, savings, money market accounts and CD rates for you to take advantage of. Discover has industry leading selections to cater to your banking needs.
• TD Bank Offers. TD Bank consistently offers a fantastic selection of checking accounts to cater to your banking needs. However, savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|