Cardholders earn 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. In addition, there are plenty of opportunities to earn points.
New applicants can earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards points. Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of account opening.
This card is best suited for business owners who charge thousands of dollars of monthly business expenses to their cards, who are heavy travelers, and who can take advantage of premium luxuries offered by it. It wouldn’t make sense for who don’t meet these habits to pay for the hefty annual fee.
From airport lounge access to huge points earnings on airfare and hotel spending, the Amex Business Platinum Card is something frequent business travelers could use to their advantage.
Table of Contents
Amex Business Platinum Card Summary
With the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN:
• Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
• Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
• Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
• Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
• 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
• Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
• Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
• Terms Apply
• See Rates & Fees
Earn 5X Points on Amex Travel
With the Amex Business Platinum Card, all purchases of $5,000 or more earn 1.5 points per dollar, up to one million extra points per year. This is a nice incentive for businesses that have significant expenses.
Airfare and hotels booked through the Amex travel portal at amextravel.com earn 5 points per dollar. These include Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts.
Rewards on most spending with The Business Platinum Card are pretty average at 1 point per dollar spent.
Redeem your Amex points for gift cards, through Amazon or other online retailers, and to pay for charges. However, it’s not recommended to use points this way as they significantly devalue your points.
The best, but tedious, way to redeem your points is to transfer them to one of Amex’s partner airlines or hotels.
Redeeming your points via Amex Travel can also increase their value, as you receive 35% of your points back for all First Class or Business Class flights booked through the portal using Pay With Points. The Pay With Points 35% rebate is good for all flights on one airline per year. So, once a year, you’ll choose your preferred airline on Amex’s website. It’s also capped at 500,000 points per calendar year.
You’ll also earn an annual $200 airline fee credit on that same carrier, good for incidentals like baggage fees. However, this can’t be used to purchase airfare.
Automatic Starwood Preferred Guests Gold Status
Cardholders receive complimentary SPG Gold status without needing to meet any stay requirements. You must manually enroll to receive this benefit.
SPG Gold status includes:
- 3 Starpoints per dollar spent at eligible SPG properties
- Room upgrades at check-in when available
- 4 p.m. late checkout
- Your choice of a welcome gift with each stay, like extra Starpoints or complimentary beverages
Automatic Hilton Honors Gold Status
Cardholders can sign up for complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status to get better benefits and services at Hilton properties. You must manually enroll into this program.
Hilton Honors Gold status includes:
- 80% bonus on all the Hilton Honors Base Points you earn
- Room upgrades when available
- 5th reward night free on standard room reward stays of 5 nights or more
- Late check-out
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is perfect for big business travelers. However, it’s not worth it if airfare and hotel stays aren’t among their biggest business expenses. The perks it offers for the $450 annual fee are difficult to beat.
Take note that the Amex Business Platinum Card is a charge card, meaning you’ll have to pay off your balance in full at the end of each billing cycle.
However, if you can’t take advantage of all the benefits this card has to offer, see our complete list of credit card promotions today!
Learn more about this card and its features here.