Cardholders earn 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. In addition, there are plenty of opportunities to earn points.
New applicants can earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards points. Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of account opening. These 75k points are valued around $1,500.
This card is best suited for business owners who charge thousands of dollars of monthly business expenses to their cards, who are heavy travelers, and who can take advantage of premium luxuries offered by it. It wouldn’t make sense for who don’t meet these habits to pay for the hefty annual fee.
From airport lounge access to huge points earnings on airfare and hotel spending, the Amex Business Platinum Card is something frequent business travelers could use to their advantage.
For a consumer version of this card, check out The Platinum Card® from American Express.
Table of Contents
Amex Business Platinum Card Summary
With the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN:
• Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
• Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
• Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
• Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
• 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
• Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
• Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
• Terms Apply
• See Rates & Fees
Earning Amex Business Platinum Bonus
You’ll have to spend a hefty amount to earn the full bonus amount with The Business Platinum Card from American Express.
Here are some ideas on meeting the spending requirement:
• Plastiq: Plastiq allows you to pay for expenses that you generally won’t be able to with your card like rent, tuition, auto lease, mortgage payment, and more. There’s a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card. However, this’ll be worth the card bonus you’ll get. There’s also a referral program where you can earn “Fee-Free Dollars” to use towards processing fees. See our Plastiq review.
• Fund Checking accounts with your card: Many banks will allow you to fund the opening deposit with a credit card. Consider opening Checking accounts that also offer a sign-up bonus. This way, you can work towards bonuses from two different sources. Big banks like Chase, HSBC, Huntington, and TD Bank have great offers and allow credit card funding. You can generally fund anywhere from $50 to $1,000 towards the opening deposit with a credit card, depending on the bank.
• Buy gift cards: Consider buying gift cards with your credit card that you can then spend later at your leisure. Individual merchant cards (restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, etc.) generally don’t have purchase fees, so this is a plus. On the other hand, American Express and Visa gift cards will have purchase fees. Amazon gift cards are a great idea as you can shop for almost anything there with no purchase fees either. Unfortunately, Citi credit cards tend to code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and there’ll be a fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards. You can also buy discounted gift cards as well from Raise or find gift cards on eBay.
• Everyday spending & bills: Always using your credit card for everyday spending, such as for dining, gas, groceries, etc. You can also use your credit card to pay for things like insurance bills, property taxes and income taxes. However, you’ll have to consider the convenience fees.
Earn 5X Points on Amex Travel
With the Amex Business Platinum Card, all purchases of $5,000 or more earn 1.5 points per dollar, up to one million extra points per year. This is a nice incentive for businesses that have significant expenses.
Airfare and hotels booked through the Amex travel portal at amextravel.com earn 5 points per dollar. These include Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts.
Rewards on most spending with The Business Platinum Card are pretty average at 1 point per dollar spent.
Redeem your Amex points for gift cards, through Amazon or other online retailers, and to pay for charges. However, it’s not recommended to use points this way as they significantly devalue your points.
Membership Rewards points are worth about $0.02 because you can potentially get great value with Membership Rewards travel partners. So, 75k Membership Rewards points could be worth up to $1,500 in value.
Taking the time to search through different scenarios with various travel partners will be the most rewarding way to use your points.
The best, but tedious, way to redeem your points is to transfer them to one of Amex’s partner airlines or hotels. Here’s a list of Membership Rewards airline and hotel partners:
|Aer Lingus||AeroMexico||Air Canada|
|Air France/KLM||Alitalia||All Nippon Airways|
|Avianca||British Airways||Cathay Pacific|
|Delta Air Lines||El Al Israel Airlines||Emirates|
|Etihad Airways||Hawaiian Airlines||Iberia|
|JetBlue Airways||Qantas||Singapore Airlines|
|Virgin Atlantic||Choice Privileges||Hilton Honors|
Redeeming your points via Amex Travel can also increase their value, as you receive 35% of your points back for all First Class or Business Class flights booked through the portal using Pay With Points. The Pay With Points 35% rebate is good for all flights on one airline per year. So, once a year, you’ll choose your preferred airline on Amex’s website. It’s also capped at 500,000 points per calendar year.
You’ll also earn an annual $200 airline fee credit on that same carrier, good for incidentals like baggage fees. However, this can’t be used to purchase airfare.
Amex Business Platinum Cardholder Perks
35% Airline Bonus: Use your points to pay for all or part of an eligible fare and get 35% of those points back, up to 500,000 points back per calendar year. Eligible fares include First and Business Class tickets through Amex Travel, and any fare class with your selected qualifying airline. Select your airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice and change this choice one time each year in January there or by calling the number on the back of your card.
Global Lounge Collection:Access more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries. Lounge networks include: The Centurion Lounge, The International American Express lounges, Delta Sky Club when flying Delta, and Priority Pass Select lounges once enrolled.
$200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 per calendar year in statement credits when incidental fees are charged by your selected qualifying airline to your Business Platinum account. Incidental fees include baggage fees and in-flight refreshments and entertainment. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not incidental fees.
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck Credit: Receive a statement credit every 4 years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) with the Business Platinum Card. Keep in mind, if you’re approved for Global Entry, you’ll receive access to TSA PreCheck at no additional charge.
$200 Dell Credit: Get up to $100 in statement credits between January and June and up to $100 in statement credits between July and December for U.S. purchases with Dell on your card when enrolled. That’s up to $200 in statement credits annually.
WeWork Access: Get 1 year of free Platinum Global Access from WeWork. These are premium workspaces designed for productivity in 75% cities and 20+ countries.
Automatic Hilton Honors Gold Status
Cardholders can sign up for complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status to get better benefits and services at Hilton properties. You must manually enroll into this program.
Hilton Honors Gold status includes:
- 80% bonus on all the Hilton Honors Base Points you earn
- Room upgrades when available
- 5th reward night free on standard room reward stays of 5 nights or more
- Late check-out
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is perfect for big business travelers. However, it’s not worth it if airfare and hotel stays aren’t among their biggest business expenses. The perks it offers in comparison to the annual fee isdifficult to beat.
Take note that the Amex Business Platinum Card is a charge card, meaning you’ll have to pay off your balance in full at the end of each billing cycle.
However, if you can’t take advantage of all the benefits this card has to offer, see our complete list of credit card promotions today!
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Other Credit Cards To Consider
Lower Annual Fee Without The Premium Perks:
With the Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card:
• Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
• Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases - with no limit to the amount you can earn
• Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
• Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
• No foreign transaction fees
• Employee cards at no additional cost
• $95 Annual Fee
Simple Cash Back On All Purchases:
With the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business:
• Earning unlimited 2% cash back could mean thousands of dollars each year going back into your business
• Plus, a one-time $500 cash bonus once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
• Use Spark Cash across all your business spend, with no categories to limit your purchasing
• $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
• Rewards won't expire for the life of the account, and you can redeem your cash back for any amount
• Get employee cards at no additional cost, and earn rewards from their business spend
Simple Travel Rewards On All Purchases:
With the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business:
• Earn 2 miles per $1 on every purchase
• Plus, a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
• Miles won't expire for the life of the account, and there are no categories to limit where or what you buy
• $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
• There's no limit to the amount of miles you can earn
• Redeem miles for travel, cash back, gift cards and more
• No foreign transaction fees and fly on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
The Best Bank Offers are updated here. See the below pages to get started with some of the best offers:
• Chase Bank Offers. Chase offers a range of attractive Checking, Savings and Business Accounts. Chase has a great selection of sign-up bonuses in comparison to other big banks.
• HSBC Bank Offers. HSBC Bank has big value offers available through this Checking Accounts. In addition, they are offering an attractive rate for their Online Savings Account.
• Huntington Bank Offers. Huntington Bank has high bonus amounts available through their Checking and Business Checking. Huntington also offers a Business Premier Money Market Account.
• Discover Bank Offers. Discover Bank offers top cashback, savings, money market accounts and CD rates for you to take advantage of. Discover has industry leading selections to cater to your banking needs.
• TD Bank Offers. TD Bank consistently offers a fantastic selection of checking accounts to cater to your banking needs. However, savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|