Bankcheckingsavings has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Bankcheckingsavings and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
If you’re a frequent flyer with Southwest Airlines, here’s a card that can benefit you greatly! Upon approval of the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, you have the opportunity to earn 40,000 points after sending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
On top of the bonus, you’ll earn 6,000 points as a card-member anniversary bonus! Get the benefit of no foreign transaction fees and the ability to earn 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases and Rapid Rewards® Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases AND -1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases!
If this card appeals to you, see what more this card has to offer below!
Table of Contents
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Card Summary
With the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card:
• Earn 40,000 points after sending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
• Enjoy 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
• 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases & Rapid Rewards® hotel/car rental partner purchases; 1x point on all other purchases.
• Earn unlimited points that don't expire as long as your card account is open
• No foreign transaction fees.
• Redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events and more.
Learn More About This Card Here
The Southwest Premier card earns 2 points per every $1 spent with Southwest Airlines and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners. Southwest purchases include Southwest airfare, vacation packages, in-flight food and drinks, and others, provided they’re made directly with Southwest and not through a third-party booking site.
For all other purchases, you earn 1 point per every $1 spent. There’s no limit on how much you can earn, and your points don’t expire as long as your account is open. Plus, enjoy unlimited reward seats and no blackout dates.
Redeem your acquired points for flights, gift cards, merchandise, car rentals, and more. The best way to redeem your points is for airfare, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. Redemptions typically start at 5,000 for one-way flights and 10,000 for round-trip flights, but they’re subject to change per flight.
Points are worth one cent apiece when you redeem for flights, but they can be worth up to 2 cents apiece, depending on time, date, and season of your flight and other factors. Short-haul flights will generally offer better value. Southwest regularly adjusts the number of points required to redeem a particular flight, so YMMV.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier comes with standard travel and purchase protections. These include free first and second checked bags, lost luggage reimbursement, purchase protection, and extended warranty protection. Here are some more perks that the card offers:
- Tier Qualifying Point Earnings: This card earns 1,500 bonus Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs). TPQs are Rapid Rewards points not earned through credit card sign-up bonuses or partner purchases for every $10,000 spent. You can earn up to 15,000 TQPs per year through this method and an unlimited number of additional TQPs by paying cash for Southwest Airlines fares and making non-Southwest credit card purchases. Earn 35,000 TQPs in a calendar year to hit A-List status. You’ll receive benefits, such as priority consideration on standby flights, priority boarding on all flights, and a 25% point-earning bonus. You can also earn A-List status by completing at least 25 one-way flights in a calendar year.
- Companion Pass Status: This status is for those who spend heavily on Southwest flight purchases. To earn it, you either need to accumulate 110,000 TQPs (through cash fare and credit card purchases, other than partner purchases) or complete at least 100 one-way Southwest Airlines segments (connecting flights count separately) in a calendar year. Companion Pass status holders can bring a companion traveler on any Southwest flight at no additional fare charge. Taxes and security fees still apply. There’s no limit to how many times this benefit can be used. You can travel with as many companions throughout the year you like. However, you can’t travel with more than one companion per flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Keep earning your points outside the U.S. without paying a foreign transaction fee.
With the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, you can earn a lot of Southwest points! Then, redeem them for gift cards, merchandise, car rentals, cruises, hotel stays, and access to exclusive events.
This card has a decent rewards program, a nice anniversary bonus, no foreign transaction fees, and easy award travel booking. If you travel frequently with Southwest Airlines, this card will be a great fit for you. Don’t forget to check out our complete list of credit card promotions today!