For frequent flyers of Southwest Airlines, the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card might just be the ideal card to get the most out of this fantastic airline!
Upon approval, you have the opportunity to earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
On top of that, you earn 3,000 bonus points as a card-member anniversary bonus!
If you’re a frequently flyer, you’ll be rewarded with 2X points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases and Rapid Rewards® Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases. Then, earn 1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases! See what more this card has to offer below!
Table of Contents
Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card Summary
With the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card:
• Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
• 3,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
• 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases and Rapid Rewards® hotel and car rental partner purchases.
• 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
• Earn unlimited points that don't expire as long as your card account is open
• All points earned with either card count towards Companion Pass
• No blackout dates or seat restrictions
• Redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events and more
Learn More About This Card Here
Earning & Redeeming Points
Rapid Rewards Plus cardholders earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases. These include purchases of airfare, vacation packages, in-flight entertainment, in-flight refreshments, and other incidentals. They must be made directly with the airline and not through a third-party booking site. Purchases with hotel and rental car partners, including Hertz and Starwood, also earn 2 points per $1 spent.
All other purchases earn 1 point per $1 spent. As long as your account remains open and in good standing, your points never expire. In addition, you can earn an unlimited amount of points.
Rapid Rewards points can be redeemed for free Southwest Airlines flights with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. Redemption amounts vary by flight time, season, date and day of the week, destination, distance, and other factors. However, redemptions always require at least 5,000 points for one-way flights and 10,000 for round-trip flights.
Points can be worth anywhere from $0.015 up to $0.02 apiece for certain flights. Short-haul flights offer better value, but the number of points required to redeem a particular flight frequently vary.
You can also redeem for merchandise, experiences, rental cars, and gift cards, through Southwest More Rewards. However, you’ll get better value out of your points redeeming for flights.
The Rapid Rewards Plus card offers perks, such as baggage delay insurance, extended warranty protection, lost luggage reimbursement and purchase protection. Other notable perks this card comes with are:
- Cardmember Anniversary Bonus: Each year your account remains open and in good standing, you get 3,000 bonus points on your cardmember anniversary. Earn extra points booking car rentals and hotels through the Rapid Rewards program, or using the Rapid Rewards Shopping portal.
- Companion Pass Status: Companion Pass status is the highest status level within Southwest Airlines’ frequent flyer program. Travelers must accumulate at least 110,000 Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) or complete at least 100 one-way Southwest Airlines segments in a calendar year to get this this status. TQPs are Rapid Rewards points earned through cash fare and credit card purchases, but not sign-up bonuses or partner purchases. You can bring a companion traveler on any Southwest flight at no additional fare charge. However, taxes and security fees do still apply. You can use this benefit as much as you want, but you can’t travel with more than one companion per flight.
- Bags Fly Free: Rapid Rewards Plus cardholders always get their first and second checked bags free. This is great if you’re taking a longer trip or one that requires lots of luggage.
- No Change Fees: Southwest Airlines doesn’t impose change fees if you decide to alter your reward flight’s time, date, or even destination after your initial booking. You’re just responsible for the cost difference in dollars or points, if any.
The Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card would definitely be ideal for those who fly frequently with Southwest Airlines. The best things I enjoy with Southwest Airlines is that your bags fly free and there are no change fees. On top of that, there are no blackout dates or seat restrictions.
With the bonus points you’ll be earning, you can redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events and more. If you’re still looking for other deals, you can find our complete list of credit card promotions from our exclusive list!
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.