The Spark Miles Select is comparable to many other business travel cards. However, it’s worth noting that many competing cards carry annual fees ranging from less than $100 to more than $400. For a credit card with an annual fee, the Capital One Spark Miles for Business earns a higher 2X miles rate.
New applicants can earn a a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
Compared to the Spark Cash Select, which earns an unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases, the Spark Miles Select an unlimited 1.5X miles on all purchases. Since miles always have a fixed value of 1 cent apiece on travel expenses, this card effectively earns a 1.5% cash back rate when redeeming for travel. The only major difference is that miles are typically redeemed for travel while the Spark Cash Select’s earnings are redeemed for cash.
Table of Contents
Spark Miles Select for Business Summary
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business offers a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
You can earn 1.5 miles per $1 on every purchase. Your miles won't expire for the life of the account, and there are no categories to limit where or what you buy.
There is no annual fee or foreign transaction fees to worry about making this card a viable option for business travel.
Earning The Capital One Spark Miles Select 20,000 Bonus
Take advantage of the Spark Miles Select card’s 20,000 bonus miles introductory offer. That’s an excellent bonus considering it comes with no annual fee.
To qualify, charge at least $3,000 to your card within the first 3 months of opening your account. Though that may sound much, here are some ideas on meeting the spending requirement:
|• Plastiq: Plastiq allows you to pay for expenses that you generally won’t be able to with your card like rent, tuition, auto lease, mortgage payment, and more. There’s a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card. However, this’ll be worth the card bonus you’ll get. There’s also a referral program where you can earn “Fee-Free Dollars” to use towards processing fees. See our Plastiq review.|
|• Fund Checking accounts with your card: Many banks will allow you to fund the opening deposit with a credit card. Consider opening Checking accounts that also offer a sign-up bonus. This way, you can work towards bonuses from two different sources. Big banks like Chase, HSBC, Huntington, and TD Bank have great offers and allow credit card funding. You can generally fund anywhere from $50 to $1,000 towards the opening deposit with a credit card, depending on the bank.|
|• Buy gift cards: Consider buying gift cards with your credit card that you can then spend later at your leisure. Individual merchant cards (restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, etc.) generally don’t have purchase fees, so this is a plus. On the other hand, American Express and Visa gift cards will have purchase fees. Amazon gift cards are a great idea as you can shop for almost anything there with no purchase fees either. Unfortunately, Citi credit cards tend to code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and there’ll be a fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards. You can also buy discounted gift cards as well from Raise or find gift cards on eBay.|
|• Everyday spending & bills: Always using your credit card for everyday spending, such as for dining, gas, groceries, etc. You can also use your credit card to pay for things like insurance bills, property taxes and income taxes. However, you’ll have to consider the convenience fees.|
Earn An Unlimited 1.5X Miles
All purchases on the Spark Miles Select earn an unlimited 1.5 miles per $1 spent with no caps or restrictions.
Since miles are worth $0.01 apiece at redemption, this is equal to a 1.5% cash back rate on all purchases.
However, on average, each Spark mile is worth up to $0.014 when you transfer them. That’s a good value considering the average across different rewards cards is just $0.01 per point.
Redeem accumulated miles on the Spark Miles Select for travel, cash, gift cards, merchandise, and general statement credits. However, values for non-travel redemptions vary widely and are subject to change. Therefore, it’s best to redeem your miles for one of two options listed below.
Use Capital One’s Purchase Eraser tool to offset travel purchases you’ve already made. Purchase Eraser is similar to a statement credit. It can be used for up to 90 days from the purchase date. Eligible travel purchases include airline flights, hotel bookings or car rentals. There’s no minimum redemption amount.
You can also use your miles to book airfare, hotels, car rentals, and other travel purchases directly through Capital One’s travel portal. If you redeem in this manner, there’s no set redemption minimum to worry about. Neither redemption method comes with blackout dates or seat restrictions.
Recently, Capital One has given the option to transfer your Spark Miles Select miles to a selection of airline partners:
|Aeromexico Club Premier||Air France KLM Flying Blue||Air Canada Aeroplan|
|Alitalia MilleMiglia Program||Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)||Avianca LifeMiles|
|Emirates Skywards||Etihad Airways Etihad Guest||EVA Air Infinity MileageLands|
|Finnair Plus||Hainan Airlines Fortune Wings Club||JetBlue TrueBlue|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer||Qatar Airways Privilege Club||Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer|
Transfers are at a 2:1.5 (4:3) ratio for all partners. Emirates and Singapore have an exception of a lowered 2:1 ratio.
Once you transfer your points, there are many opportunities to earn even more value out of your points or miles. The cost in miles for flight bookings varies depending on the destination, time of travel, airline mileage program, etc. However, if you put in the time to search through different booking scenarios with different airlines, you could get much more value with your Spark Miles Select miles.
However, if you don’t plan on messing with transferring, the more straightforward Purchase Eraser redemption option is always available.
The card benefits on the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business offers several perks to help out when shopping. Purchase Security covers your items against theft and damage. Extended Warranty protects your purchases longer than usual. You’ll also get some travel protections with these cards, like Travel and Emergency Assistance. Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver lightens the cost of your car rentals. Plus, Roadside Dispatch service for on-the-road emergency referrals, like tire changes and towing. Travel Accident Insurance and Lost Luggage Reimbursement service are also included. Some more perks for this card include:
- Free Employee Cards: Get an unlimited number of employee cards to distribute to your employees, and earn rewards every time they use them. You can set individual credit limits for the cards.
- 24/7 Concierge Service: The number on the back of your card can provide you non-emergency help with a variety of tasks. These include making travel arrangements, getting tickets to events or reservations at restaurants, and finding hard-to-find gifts.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Many credit cards carry a foreign transaction fee of about 3%. Thus, they can easily wipe out the value of any rewards you earn. With this card, you get to keep all the rewards you earn without paying that fee.
- Visa SavingsEdge: Get up to 15% off at merchants when you shop through the Visa SavingsEdge shopping portal. You’ll find deals at gas stations, hotel chains, restaurants, office supply merchants, tech websites, and more.
- Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection: Frequent travelers can get a variety of perks, discounts, and complimentary services at over 900 hotels around the world. This includes most of the top brands.
Although the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business doesn’t offer the highest mile-earning rate or the best benefits, it’s a solid card for business owners who want are okay with a pretty bare-bones card. And, if you’re not particularly loyal to a certain hotel or airline brand, it’s hard to go wrong with this card. But if you’re looking for better rewards or you put your spending heavily on select business categories, see our list of credit card promotions today!
Learn more about this card and find out how you can apply here.
Other Credit Cards To Consider
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business offers 1.5X miles on all purchases. Thus, it’s best to pair it up with another card that offers a higher rewards rate on the categories you use the most.
For example, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express earns 5X points on flights purchased through Amex, and the Chase Ink Business CashSM Credit Card earns 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV services each account anniversary year.
Then, when your higher-earning card only offers 1% cash back on the items you need to purchase, use the Spark Miles Select in its place to reap the higher 1.5X miles reward.
No Annual Fee Options From Chase:
With the Chase Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card:
• This card offers a $500 bonus after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months.
• 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent at office supply stores, on internet, cable & phone services for every account anniversary year (combined purchases)
• 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent at gas stations & restaurants for every account anniversary year (combined purchases); 1% on all other purchases with no limit
• This card has No Annual Fee
Learn More About This Card
With the Chase Ink Business UnlimitedSM Credit Card:
• This card offers a $500 bonus after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months
• Enjoy earning an unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase you make for your business
• This card also comes with No Annual Fee
The Best Bank Offers are updated here. See the below pages to get started with some of the best offers:
• Chase Bank Offers. Chase offers a range of attractive Checking, Savings and Business Accounts. Chase has a great selection of sign-up bonuses in comparison to other big banks.
• HSBC Bank Offers. HSBC Bank has big value offers available through this Checking Accounts. In addition, they are offering an attractive rate for their Online Savings Account.
• Huntington Bank Offers. Huntington Bank has high bonus amounts available through their Checking and Business Checking. Huntington also offers a Business Premier Money Market Account.
• Discover Bank Offers. Discover Bank offers top cashback, savings, money market accounts and CD rates for you to take advantage of. Discover has industry leading selections to cater to your banking needs.
• TD Bank Offers. TD Bank consistently offers a fantastic selection of checking accounts to cater to your banking needs. However, savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit||$360 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|