If you’re an American Express Blue Cash Preferred card holder be sure to read this post. They have announced that on May 9th the Blue Cash Preferred will refresh and two new categories will be added!
But with the addition of two new categories means that we’ll have to say goodbye to the Department Store Category which will stop taking effect on July 31st, 2019.
If you’re interested in what these new categories are, be sure to continue reading down below!
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
You'll earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. 1% Cash Back on other purchases. In addition, you'll earn 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions, 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
The card does come with a $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95. (See Rates & Fees)
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Category Update
- On May 9th, the categories will refresh and contain two new categories – these being:
- 6% cash back on 20 U.S. streaming services including Amazon Prime, YouTube, Netflix, HBO, Apple Music, Pandora, Amazon Kindle Unlimited & Audible
- 3% cash back on transit purchases including parking, tolls, train services and rideshare services (including Lyft & Uber)
- On July 31st, 2019, you will no longer be able to receive 3% cash back on Department Stores.
- The other card features will remain the same:
- 6% back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 in purchases (after you hit this cap you earn 1% cash back)
- 3% back at U.S. gas stations
- 1% back on all other purchases
- $95 annual fee
It’s sad to see 3% cash back on Department stores go, but these new categories seem very convenient and if not more practical. Be sure to take advantage of these cash back opportunities wherever you can find them so that you can save extra money!
If you love reading posts like this, be sure to check out more on BCS! You can also find our compiled list of the Best Credit Card Promotions available for you right now! Also check out our post on the Blue Cash Preferred Review Bonus and American Express Credit Card Bonuses!
The Chase Ink Business Cash® Card offers $750 bonus cash back after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year, 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year, & % cash back on all other card purchases with no limit to the amount you can earn.
This card comes with no annual fee. You'll be able to take advantage of employee cards at no additional cost & the 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases.