As a charge card, the Platinum Card doesn’t come with any preset spending limits or regular interest charges. Instead, it requires cardholders to pay their balances in full each month.
New applicants can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
Cardholders earn 5X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Also earn 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
Receive excellent earning power on travel purchases made directly with merchants and/or through the American Express Travel portal. If you’re an avid traveler and you can get value out of its sizable annual fee, see if this card is the perfect match for your needs.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Platinum Card from American Express Summary
- 2 Earning 60,000 The Platinum Card Bonus Points
- 3 Earn 5X Points on Flights & Hotels Booked On Amex Travel
- 4 Redeem Rewards
- 5 The Platinum Cardholder Benefits
- 6 Hilton Honors Gold Status
- 7 Marriott Bonvoy Gold Status
- 8 Car Rental Elite Status
- 9 Cardholder Perks
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Other Credit Cards To Consider
The Platinum Card from American Express Summary
With the The Platinum Card® from American Express:
• Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
• Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
• 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
• Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
• Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
• $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
• Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
• $550 annual fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Earning 60,000 The Platinum Card Bonus Points
The bonus points offer for The Platinum Card is pretty high up there, in line with its top competitor, the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.
Take advantage of the 60,000 bonus points offer by spending $5,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening. Compare this with other card bonuses.
If you think it’ll be difficult meeting the $5,000 spending requirement for the bonus, here are some ideas you can use:
• Plastiq: Plastiq allows you to pay for expenses that you generally won’t be able to with your card like rent, tuition, auto lease, mortgage payment, and more. There’s a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card. However, this’ll be worth the card bonus you’ll get. There’s also a referral program where you can earn “Fee-Free Dollars” to use towards processing fees. See our Plastiq review.
• Fund Checking accounts with your card: Many banks will allow you to fund the opening deposit with a credit card. Consider opening Checking accounts that also offer a sign-up bonus. This way, you can work towards bonuses from two different sources. Big banks like Chase, HSBC, Huntington, and TD Bank have great offers and allow credit card funding. You can generally fund anywhere from $50 to $1,000 towards the opening deposit with a credit card, depending on the bank.
• Buy gift cards: Consider buying gift cards with your credit card that you can then spend later at your leisure. Individual merchant cards (restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, etc.) generally don’t have purchase fees, so this is a plus. On the other hand, American Express and Visa gift cards will have purchase fees. Amazon gift cards are a great idea as you can shop for almost anything there with no purchase fees either. Unfortunately, Citi credit cards tend to code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and there’ll be a fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards. You can also buy discounted gift cards as well from Raise or find gift cards on eBay.
• Everyday spending & bills: Always using your credit card for everyday spending, such as for dining, gas, groceries, etc. You can also use your credit card to pay for things like insurance bills, property taxes and income taxes. However, you’ll have to consider the convenience fees.
Earn 5X Points on Flights & Hotels Booked On Amex Travel
Amex Platinum Card holders receive 5X points on all airfare purchased directly with the airlines or with American Express Travel. This is one of the highest airfare bonuses on any card on the market. Plus, it’s an excellent way to earn many Membership Rewards points. Thus, if you book a lot of airline tickets, consider this card for that reason.
Cardholders can also earn 5X points on hotel reservations made through the Amex Travel portal. They must be prepaid bookings, which usually means they’re noncancelable. If your travel plans change often, this may benefit you less compared to the 5X on airfare.
Nonetheless, if you’re willing to restrict your bookings and reservations on the Amex Travel portal, you can potentially rack up tons of points depending on what travel you do.
Redeem points for merchandise, transportation, travel, gift cards, and statement credits at American Express’s Membership Rewards portal.
Points are generally worth $0.005 to $0.01 at redemption, depending on the method. Cash-like redemptions, such as statement credits, have lower point values, while merchandise redemptions have higher values. The best way to get the most value out of your points is to redeem for travel.
Membership Rewards points are one of the most flexible loyalty currencies, thanks to Amex’s many airline and hotel transfer partners. Airline transfer partners include the major airline alliances — SkyTeam, Star Alliance and Oneworld. Transferring your points to the right airline program is the best way to maximize the value of your points. In fact, you can earn up to 2 cents per point in value. Here’s a list of Membership Rewards airline and hotel partners:
|Aer Lingus||AeroMexico||Air Canada|
|Air France/KLM||Alitalia||All Nippon Airways|
|Avianca||British Airways||Cathay Pacific|
|Delta Air Lines||El Al Israel Airlines||Emirates|
|Etihad Airways||Hawaiian Airlines||Iberia|
|JetBlue Airways||Qantas||Singapore Airlines|
|Virgin Atlantic||Choice Privileges||Hilton Honors|
The Platinum Cardholder Benefits
Like the other premium travel credit cards, the high annual fee isn’t waived during your first year. This means, if you just want to jump on board for the bonus offer, you probably should think twice.
The $550 annual fee will cut into your bonus, so find another card bonus promotion if you’re not looking for a premium travel card with all its perks.
We recommend the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card if the more premium travel perks don’t benefit you. Otherwise, you can look forward to these benefits with The Platinum card from American Express:
Access to 1200+ Airport Lounges: This is one of the most appreciated benefits of a premium travel credit card. You’ll have access to Delta Sky Club locations, given that you have a flight with them. International American Express lounges and Airspace lounges are also included with this access benefit. Plus, access 1,200+ lounges included in the Priority Pass Select program like you would with the Citi Prestige Credit Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve. This membership level is equivalent to the “Prestige” membership plan that would cost you $400+ if purchased directly on the Priority Pass site. It’s an excellent value for frequent travelers, a big reason for choosing a premium travel card despite the high annual fee.
$200 in Uber Credits: This plus the Priority Pass Select benefits essentially more than negates the annual fee. Unfortunately, credits can only be used for Uber rides in the United States. You’ll receive $15 in credits monthly with an extra $20 in bonus credits for the month of December.
$200 Airline Fee Credit: Use this on incidentals like checked bags and in-flight meals. The credit can’t be used on airline tickets themselves.
Global Entry / TSA PreCheck Fee Credit: Receive an application credit ($100 for Global Entry or $85 for TSA PreCheck) when you pay with your card. You’ll also receive the credit every 4 years when you renew as well. Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, so it’s better to just go for that. Plan ahead, as appointment times for the interview can be weeks or months away.
Hilton Honors Gold Status
Automatically enjoy Hilton Honors Gold Status as an Amex Platinum Card member. Just make sure your account remains open and is in good standing. Gold status boosts your point earnings on Hilton and partner property stays by 80%, elite tier rollover nights, complementary breakfast, unlimited milestone access, and a 5th night free on stays of 5 nights or longer.
Marriott Bonvoy Gold Status
You can also upgrade to Marriott Bonvoy (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest) Gold Status with no spend or stay requirement. Gold status includes 25% bonus on base points earned, enhanced in-room internet access, enhanced room upgrades (when available), 2 p.m. late checkout, and a points welcome gift.
Car Rental Elite Status
Just like with the hotel Gold status upgrades, you can manually enroll in elite status with several car rental agencies. This includes Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive, and Avis Preferred status.
The Platinum Card® from American Express gives cardholders plenty of travel and consumer benefits. These include purchase protection, rental car insurance, travel insurance, cellphone protection, global assist hotline, extended warranty coverage, and more. Here are just a few more of the perks:
- $100 Global Entry / TSA PreCheck Fee Credit: Enjoy $100 fee credit for Global Entry or an $85 fee credit for TSA PreCheck every 4 years.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Earn up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year on incidental fees charged by the airline you select.
- $15 Monthly Uber Ride Credits: Enjoy $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. This is worth up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- Complementary Marriott Gold Status: Earn complimentary Gold status at Hilton and Gold Elite status in the combined Marriott/SPG program. Gold status gives you some great hotel perks, including free in-room internet, complimentary room upgrades, lounge access and more.
- Complementary Amex Lounge Access: Access more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries and counting with the American Express Global Lounge Collection. This perk includes Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass lounges and Delta Sky Clubs when flying Delta.
- Fine Hotels & Resorts Benefits: Enjoy convenient benefits at 1,000 Fine Hotels & Resorts. These are high-end hotel and resort properties worldwide. Benefits include, 12pm check-in when available, a room upgrade upon arrival when available, daily breakfast for two people, complimentary WiFi, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, and an additional special amenity unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a one-way private sedan transfer.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Use your card outside of the U.S. without paying a foreign transaction fee.
If you spend a lot on airfare and lounge access, The Platinum Card® from American Express is hard to beat. Cardholders can enjoy up to $200 in Uber credits each year, an $200 annual airline fee credit, access to over 1,000 airport lounges worldwide through the American Express Global Lounge Collection, up to $100 toward your TSA Precheck or Global Entry program application, and much more.
While the $550 annual fee is steep, if you get value out of the various annual credits and you use the lounges, it’s a solid card to have. This card may be perfect for regular travelers who don’t mind spending money for quality and love being rewarded for doing so.
However, if you’re an occasional traveler who flies economy and stays at budget hotels, the Amex Platinum Card isn’t going to be of much benefit to you. See our list of credit card promotions to find a better one that suits your budget!
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Other Credit Cards To Consider
With the Chase Sapphire Reserve®:
• Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• Named "Best Premium Travel Credit Card" for 2018 by MONEY® Magazine
• $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
• 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
• Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
• 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
• Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority PassTM Select
• Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
Learn More About This Card Here
The Best Bank Offers are updated here. See the below pages to get started with some of the best offers:
• Chase Bank Offers. Chase offers a range of attractive Checking, Savings and Business Accounts. Chase has a great selection of sign-up bonuses in comparison to other big banks.
• HSBC Bank Offers. HSBC Bank has big value offers available through this Checking Accounts. In addition, they are offering an attractive rate for their Online Savings Account.
• Huntington Bank Offers. Huntington Bank has high bonus amounts available through their Checking and Business Checking. Huntington also offers a Business Premier Money Market Account.
• Discover Bank Offers. Discover Bank offers top cashback, savings, money market accounts and CD rates for you to take advantage of. Discover has industry leading selections to cater to your banking needs.
• TD Bank Offers. TD Bank consistently offers a fantastic selection of checking accounts to cater to your banking needs. However, savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|