Scandinavian Airlines known as SAS, is the flag carrier of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. Not to mention, they are also a member of the Star Alliance. The airline will connect to 109 destinations worldwide form Copehagen Airport and 106 locations for Oslo Airport.
SAS’s loyalty program, EuroBonus, has won the Freddie Awards, the Oscars for frequent flyer programs, for 6 straight years. Additionally, they’re known for their amazing customer service, website, and member communications.
Read below for more information on what you need to know about SAS EuroBonus.
Table of Contents
EuroBonus Quick Facts
|Hubs||Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm|
|Cobranded Credit Card||None for U.S. residents|
|Redemption Options||Flights, upgrades, lounge access, hotel stays, merchandise, gift cards, donations|
Featured Airline Credit Card
The United Club Infinite Card offers 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
With this card, you'll earn:
• 4X miles per $1 spent on United purchases including tickets, Economy Plus, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges.
• 2X miles per $1 spent on all other travel
• 2X miles per $1 spent on dining at restaurants and eligible delivery services
• 1X mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
Plus, you'll get 25% back as a statement credit on purchases of food, beverages and Wi-Fi on board United-operated flights when you pay with your Club Card.
This card does carry an annual fee of $525. However, you can get up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Precheck Fee Credit. In addition, you'll get a savings of up to $320 per roundtrip (terms apply) by getting your first and second checked bags for free!
EuroBonus Elite Status
When you sign up for EuroBonus, you’ll automatically become a member. Move up status tiers when you get enough Basic Points or take enough flights within a 12-month period. Basic points are earned when you fly on SAS or Star Alliance.
|Silver||20,000 Basic Points / 10 one-way flights|
|Gold||45,000 Basic Points / 45 one-way flights|
|Diamond||90,000 Basic Points / 90 one-way flights|
After you unlock a tier, you’ll have that status for one year, plus the remainder of the qualifying year. Status benefits will also include:
|SAS Fast Track||x||x|
|Extra checked bags on SAS flights||1||2||2|
|Book regular trips for points with discount||5%||10%||30%|
|Better chances when bidding for upgrades via SAS Upgrade||10%||20%||30%|
|25% more Basic points on SAS & Wideroe||x||x|
|Star Alliance lounge access (for you and a guest)||x||x|
|Extra checked bags on Star Alliance flights||x||x|
|Priority baggage handling & boarding||x||x|
|Phone service 24/7||x||x|
|Select seat for free in advance||x||x|
|Guaranteed seat when you book 24/48 hours before departure||Silver||Silver
|Give away Silver/Gold membership||x|
|No point expiry||x|
|Free drinks in SAS Go||x|
|Visit SAS Lounge upon arrival||x|
|No fee when booking bonus trips via SAS Customer Service||x|
*SA = Star Alliance
Earning EuroBonus Points
Stock up on EuroBonus Points for booking your stay at partner hotels:
- Best Western
- Elite Hotels
- First Hotels
- Radisson Hotel Group
- Scandic Hotels
- Shangri-La Hotels
- Thon Hotels
You’ll even earn points for renting a car or getting transfers from the following partners:
- Dantaxi 4×48
- Flygbussarna Airport Coaches
Remember that EuroBonus has suspended point earnings for shops in the EuroBonus portal.
Build up even more points when you link your Visa, Mastercard, or Amex card to your EuroBonus account and shop at participating retailers.
Lastly, if you’re short on points, you can transfer or buy the missing points you need.
Redeeming EuroBonus Points
Please keep in mind that EuroBonus has suspended award bookings with Star Alliance.
Use your Saga points for:
- Flights or upgrades with SAS, Wideroe and partner airlines within Star Alliance.
- Hotel stays via the EuroBonus Hotel portal, or book with Best Western, First Hotels, Park Inn by Radisson, Radisson Blue Hotels & Resorts, Scandic Hotels and Thon Hotels.
- Lounge access at Copenhagen Airport, Oslo Airport and Stockholm Arlanda (SAS Go travelers).
- Merchandise and gift cards via the EuroBonus shopping portal.
- Charitable donations.
EuroBonus points are valid for 5 years. They expire at the end of the month when you first create your EuroBonus account.
EuroBous Tips & Tricks
- One-way redemptions are allowed for 60% of the roundtrip cost
- You’ll earn points on flights paid with points and cash.
- The best value award is roundtrip tickets from Norway to Svalbard, the most accessible part of the polar region, for only 10,000 points.
- Worst value awards are between Europe and North America, in North America, and between North America and Hawaii.
If you’re looking for a foreign Star Alliance carrier, you might want to give SAS a pass. EuroBonus doesn’t have any transfer partners nor cobranded credit cards, so earning points will be a slow and steady process. And currently, the program doesn’t allow Star Alliance partner awards, so there are not as many uses for your Eurobonus points.
Consider frequent flyer programs from other Star Alliance members instead.