Our list of personal and business best cash back credit cards includes the best rates on a combination of various categories and all purchases. Many cash back cards offer rotating categories where others will just have a flat rate on all purchases. Several cards will also offer an additional introductory promotion like double cash back for a year that will make it even more valuable.
Check out our best credit card bonuses here.
Carefully review and compare each card for caps, limitations, and other fine print. It’s important to know where you spend the most, like gas, groceries, or at restaurants so that you will choose a card that will earn you the most cash back in the long run.
Table of Contents
Types of Cash Back Credit Cards
Normally, cash back credit cards can be put into 4 different types of rewards structures such as:
Flat-rate rewards. Usually, these cards will be able to earn you the same rewards rate for spending in general. For example, the Citi Double Cash Card comes with a total of 2% cash back on spending. It’s perfect for everyday transactions since you don’t have to keep track of the bonus options. But, the flat-rate cards do have a limitation to your earning potential.
Tiered rewards. Like most travel credit cards, tiered cash back cards come with bonus earnings for certain spending categories. For example, the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express offers 6% cash back on specific spending options. Additionally, you’ll get 3% on others, and 1% on everything else. Tiered rewards cards come with an amazing earning potential, however, it will only be good if your spending matches the categories.
Rotating Categories. Typically, these cards will allow you to earn bonuses towards spending options that usually change every quarter. For example, the Chase Freedom Flex offers 5% cash back towards bonus options that shift every 3 months. When the earning rate is high, cards with rotating categories will come with caps on their bonuses. Additionally, you have to remember to activate new categories every time they change.
Customized categories. These types of cards will allow you to pick your bonus category on a month-to-month basis. For example, with Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card will give you 3% cash back category. Cards with specific categories enables you to modify their rewards structure to match your spending habits. Furthermore, this is a great choice if the types of transactions you make change throughout the year. But, like most cards with rotating categories, you must remember to activate your bonuses.
What We Considered
Usually, to make the best of the cash back credit cards list, you should consider:
- Welcome bonus
- Earning potential
- Annual fee
- Rewards simplicity
- Additional perks
- Unlimited vs capped rewards
- Redemption threshold
Best Cash Back Credit Cards
This card is the best flat-rate cash back card and is the best cash back card that comes with no annual fee. Normally, it will earn 1% cash back on all transactions and 1% back when you pay for these transactions.
Owning one of these cards will earn Citi ThankYou Rewards, you’ll be able to convert your Citi Double Cash rewards towards ThankYou Points.
The Citi® Double Cash Card offers you the chance to earn cash back twice. Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases. To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
Balance Transfer Offer: 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will apply based on your creditworthiness. Balance Transfers do not earn cash back.
This card comes with no annual fee.
With the Chase Freedom Flex is the best cash back card with rotating bonus categories. Additionally, it earns 5% cash back towards up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter. Furthermore, new cardmembers receive a $200 welcome bonus which is rare for a card with no annual fees.
The Chase Freedom Flex offers a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
• Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
• 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
• 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service
• Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
This card has no annual fee.
The Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card is the best cashback card with custom bonus options to pick from. Additionally, you’ll be able to earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice such as: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, etc.
You can even get 2% back at the grocery stores and wholesale clubs. Plus, you’ll receive 1% back on other transactions. This card comes with a $200 welcome bonus and no annual fees as well.
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card is the best cash back card for dining and entertainment spending. It will gain you 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% back on groceries and 1% back on everything else.
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time $300 cash bonus after spending $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn an unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases. Capital One cardholders get access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more.
This card does carry a $95 annual fee, however, there is a $0 intro annual fee for the first year.
The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express is the best for gas and grocery purchases. It earns 6% cash back at supermarkets (up to $6,000 a year in spending) and on specific streaming subscriptions. These subscription are in the United States, 3% cash back on transit and gas. You’ll also be able to get 1% back on other transactions.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
You'll earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. 1% Cash Back on other purchases. In addition, you'll earn 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions, 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
The card does come with a $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95. (See Rates & Fees)
The Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Card is great for people with a decent to average credit. It earns an unlimited, flat rate of 1.5% cash back towards transactions.
With the Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card, you can enjoy:
Earning unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day - and earn cash rewards without signing up for any rotating categories.
With responsible use, you can help strengthen your credit and be automatically considered for a higher credit line in as little as 6 months.
You'll be able to monitor your credit profile with the free CreditWise® app and enjoy $0 fraud liability if your card is ever lost or stolen.
This card comes with a $39 annual fee.
This Chse Freedom Unlimited is great for pairing it with a points-earning one. Additionally, it offers an unlimited, flat rate of 1.5% cash back towards all transactions. Plus, you’ll be able to convert your cash rewards into valuable points if you have a card that earns Ultimate rewards.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited Card offers an additional 1.5% cash back on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) - worth up to $300 cash back!
Enjoy 6.5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more; 4.5% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and 3% on all other purchases (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year).
In addition, you can earn (after your first year or $20,000 spent):
• 5% cash back on Chase travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards
• 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service,
• Unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
There is no minimum to redeem for cash back & your cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open.
This card comes with no annual fee and you'll get a free credit score that is updated weekly with Credit JourneySM.
Best Cash Back Credit Cards that Need Memberships
Normally, these cash back cards are great options if you’re willing to sign up for specific memberships. Keep in mind they aren’t the best options to pick from, but they are worth your attention. Please be sure to check with the card issuer before signing up for a membership with these cards. Just in case there have been any changes.
- Alliant Cashback Visa Signature Credit Card. This offers 2.5% cash back on all transactions and $99 annual fee waived for the first year. Keep in mind you have to be a member of Alliant Credit Union to be eligible for this card.
- Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi. Offers 4% cash back towards gas (up to $7,000 per year, 1% after). Additionally, 3% on dining and travel, 2% for Costco, and 1% towards other transactions. Furthermore, it comes with no annual fee with your paid Costco membership.
- Sam’s Club Mastercard. 5% cash back towards gas (up to $6,000 per year, 1% thereafter), 3% towards dining and travel. Plus, you’ll get 1% back towards other purchases. This card comes with no annual fees and you must be a member of Sam’s Club to partake.
- USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Card. Get 5% cash back for the first $3,000 on combined gas and U.S. military base purchases a year. Furthermore, 2% for the first $3,000 on grocery transactions a year and 1% on everything else. This card comes with no annual fee, but you must be a member to sign up.
Here are some extra guides to help you find the best credit card suited for your needs.
- Best Airline Credit Cards for Travel Benefits and Rewards.
- Hotel Credit Cards for Travel Benefits + Rewards.
- Travel Credit Cards: Rewards and Benefits.
- Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards for Family Vacations.
- Credit Cards with No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Best Rewards Credit Cards: Cash, Points, Miles, & Benefits
- Cash Back Credit Cards: Welcome Bonuses, Rewards
- Best Dining Credit Cards: Restaurant Points, Rewards & Cash Back
- Grocery Credit Cards: Co-Branded, Cashback & Rewards
- Best Small Business Credit Cards: Points, Miles & Rewards
Overall, when you sign up for any of these credit cards, you’ll be getting the most for your money’s worth. Many of them come with easy and flexible rewards and redemption options. Plus, they don’t usually come with annual fees you have to worry about.