The Hilton Honors American Express Card is a no annual fee credit card best used supplementally. Use this card when staying at a Hilton hotel or resort and when you can’t get more points from you other cards on restaurants, supermarkets, and gas stations.
Cardholders can earn 7X Hilton Honors points for Hilton Honors portfolio hotels and resorts purchases. Then, earn 5X Hilton Honors points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations. All other purchases earn 3X Hilton Honors points.
New applicants can earn 75,000 Hilton Honors bonus points after you use your new card to make $1,000 in eligible purchase within the first 3 months of card membership.
The rewards you earn on this one isn’t profitable to be used as an everyday card, especially if you want this to be your first credit card. Many other no-annual-fee cash back credit cards like the Capital One Quicksilver or the Chase Freedom will offer you better rewards rates and cash back, more valuable than loyalty points.
The Hilton Honors program, co-branded with American Express, also has 4 cards available:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card – the option for those who stay roughly 20-25 nights during the calendar year with rewards that outweigh the annual fee.
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card – the option for those who’ll take advantage of all the premium perks and credits to make up for the premium annual fee.
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card – the option for business owners with benefits and an annual fee most like the Ascend Card.
Table of Contents
Hilton Honors American Express Card Summary
With the Hilton Honors American Express Card:
• Earn 90,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Card after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
• Earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio.
• Earn 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
• Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees. Enjoy international travel without additional fees on purchases made abroad.
• Enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status with your Card. Plus, spend $20,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year.
• No Annual Fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Earning 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points
Earn 75,000 Hilton Honors bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Compare this with other card bonuses.
A $1,000 minimum spending requirement should be easy to accomplish, but here are some ideas on meeting the spending requirement:
• Plastiq: Plastiq allows you to pay for expenses that you generally won’t be able to with your card like rent, tuition, auto lease, mortgage payment, and more. There’s a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card. However, this’ll be worth the card bonus you’ll get. There’s also a referral program where you can earn “Fee-Free Dollars” to use towards processing fees. See our Plastiq review.
• Fund Checking accounts with your card: Many banks will allow you to fund the opening deposit with a credit card. Consider opening Checking accounts that also offer a sign-up bonus. This way, you can work towards bonuses from two different sources. Big banks like Chase, HSBC, Huntington, and TD Bank have great offers and allow credit card funding. You can generally fund anywhere from $50 to $1,000 towards the opening deposit with a credit card, depending on the bank.
• Buy gift cards: Consider buying gift cards with your credit card that you can then spend later at your leisure. Individual merchant cards (restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, etc.) generally don’t have purchase fees, so this is a plus. On the other hand, American Express and Visa gift cards will have purchase fees. Amazon gift cards are a great idea as you can shop for almost anything there with no purchase fees either. Unfortunately, Citi credit cards tend to code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and there’ll be a fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards. You can also buy discounted gift cards as well from Raise or find gift cards on eBay.
• Everyday spending & bills: Always using your credit card for everyday spending, such as for dining, gas, groceries, etc. You can also use your credit card to pay for things like insurance bills, property taxes and income taxes. However, you’ll have to consider the convenience fees.
Earn 7X Points At Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Earning points with your Hilton Honors American Express Card is straightforward.
Every $1 you spend at Hilton properties or partner hotels and resorts earns an unlimited 7 Hilton Honors points.
Every $1 you spend at U.S. gas stations, U.S. grocery stores, and U.S. restaurants earns an unlimited 5 points.
All other purchases earn an unlimited 3 points per $1 spent.
You also earn 500 bonus points whenever you use your Hilton Honors Card to reserve a room during the booking process, provided you use the same card to pay for your room when you arrive at the Hilton property.
Redeem your points for free hotel nights and room upgrades, starting at a minimum of 5,000 points for Category 1 hotels. Redemption rates vary with demand, seasonality, and other factors. The number of points required for redemption increases with hotel category.
Although point value varies according to many factors, points are generally worth $0.005 to $0.01 at redemption.
You can also use their Points & Money Rewards program to redeem nights for a combination of points and cash. Use Hilton points across all 13 of their hotel brands.
Because Hilton doesn’t provide an award chart, you’ll need to search for your travel dates and destination to find the best deals. Thankfully, their site makes it easy to find places to stay with points. Search across all their brands in one place, and toggle dollar and point amounts back and forth on the side.
Hilton Portfolio Of Hotels
You’ll have plenty of options earning and redeeming points within the Hilton Portfolio of hotels which consists of over 5,100 locations in 103 countries and territories:
|Hilton Hotels & Resorts||With more than 570 properties across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts stands as the stylish, innovative leader of hospitality.|
|Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts||In landmark destinations around the globe, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts truly reflect their location and are fresh expressions of the legendary True Waldorf Service.|
|Conrad Hotels & Resorts||At Conrad Hotels & Resorts, luxury is a style you can connect with and service that is attuned to your every need.|
|Canopy by Hilton||For those seeking an energizing and comfortable experience, Canopy by Hilton is the fresh, neighborhood hotel that creates a positive stay through simple guest-directed service and thoughtful local choices.|
|Curio Collection by Hilton||Each hotel in the Curio Collection is completely different from the next. Curio is a collection of hand-picked hotels that are authentic, independent and remarkable.|
|DoubleTree by Hilton||Full-service and full of warmth, DoubleTree by Hilton has more than 400 wonderful places to stay, occupying prime locations in gateway cities and getaway destinations around the globe.|
|Tapestry Collection by Hilton||Tapestry Collection by Hilton is a gathering of original hotels chosen because of a commitment to being anything but generic.|
|Embassy Suites by Hilton||All guests are welcomed with a two-room suite, free made-to-order breakfast each morning, and complimentary drinks and snacks for two hours every night.|
|Hilton Garden Inn||With over 530 locations worldwide, they understand what you need to get from one busy, bustling business day to the next, and we’ll go above and beyond to ensure each stay is a successful one.|
|Hamptons by Hilton||With over 2,200 locations globally, Hampton by Hilton hotels offer high-quality and consistent accommodations and amenities.|
|Tru by Hilton||Tru by Hilton is a revolutionary new brand that is simplified, spirited and grounded in value for guests with a zest for life and a desire for human connection.|
|Homewood Suites by Hilton||In every suite they give you a spacious living room and a real kitchen with a full-sized fridge, and a comfortable bedroom with space to spread out and organize.|
|Home2 Suites by Hilton||Home2 Suites by Hilton is more than a midscale, extended-stay hotel; it’s a spirited and innovative hotel brand for the savvy, value-wise traveler staying a few months or a few nights.|
|Hilton Grand Vacations||Hilton Grand Vacations develops, markets and operates a collection of high-quality vacation ownership resorts in renowned travel destinations.|
Complementary Silver Status & Fast Track To Gold
Enjoy automatic Silver status in Hilton’s loyalty program as long as you remain a Hilton Honors Card holder in good standing. Silver status will have the following benefits:
- Guaranteed member discount
- Extra points towards free nights (20%)
- No resort fees on Reward stays
- In-Room and Lobby Wi-Fi
- Late Check-out
- 5th Standard Reward Night Free
- Elite Tier Rollover Nights
Upgrade to Gold status after spending at least $20,000 in a calendar year. Gold status includes all the perks Silver status has to offer and boosts your point earnings by 80% for all Hilton and partner stays. In addition, you receive complimentary in-room WiFi and free room upgrades when available. When you earn this status, it’s valid through the end of the next calendar year after it’s earned. So, it’s best to get it as early in the year as possible. On top of a Silver Status level of perks, Gold Status will add the following benefits:
- Extra points towards free nights (80% instead of 20%)
- 5th Standard Reward Night Free
- 2 Bottles of Water
- Elite Tier Rollover Nights
- Space-available Room Upgrade (up to Executive room type)
- Complimentary Breakfast at all hotels
- Unlimited Milestone Bonuses
Hilton is a popular hotel and resorts chain around the world. If you’re traveling in the U.S. or outside of the nation, there’s a good chance you can find one near you. Unless you have something against Hilton, it’s not a bad idea to carry the Hilton Honors American Express Card with you.
Those who spend a lot at Hilton properties should look into an American Express Hilton credit card with annual fees. The extra rewards you’ll earn will be more than worth the fees you pay. Or, you can check out our list of credit card promotions for another card that suits your needs!
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Other Credit Cards To Consider
Good Cash Back Rate & No Annual Fee:
With the HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card:
• Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on all purchases.
• Earn an Introductory 3% Cash Back on all purchases in the first 12 months from Account opening, up to the first $10,000 in purchases
• 10% Anniversary Bonus on all Cash Rewards earned once a year.
• No Annual Fee.
• 0% Intro APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a 15.24%, 19.24% or 25.24% variable APR.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees.
• $0 liability for unauthorized purchases.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
Category Cash Back & No Annual Fee:
With the Chase Freedom® Card:
• Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
• Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
• Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
• 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%.
• 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
• No annual fee
• Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
• Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit JourneySM
Top Travel Rewards Card With Annual Fee:
The Best Bank Offers are updated here. See the below pages to get started with some of the best offers:
• Chase Bank Offers. Chase offers a range of attractive Checking, Savings and Business Accounts. Chase has a great selection of sign-up bonuses in comparison to other big banks.
• HSBC Bank Offers. HSBC Bank has big value offers available through this Checking Accounts. In addition, they are offering an attractive rate for their Online Savings Account.
• Huntington Bank Offers. Huntington Bank has high bonus amounts available through their Checking and Business Checking. Huntington also offers a Business Premier Money Market Account.
• Discover Bank Offers. Discover Bank offers top cashback, savings, money market accounts and CD rates for you to take advantage of. Discover has industry leading selections to cater to your banking needs.
• TD Bank Offers. TD Bank consistently offers a fantastic selection of checking accounts to cater to your banking needs. However, savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|